Saturday, March 23, 2013

Why are eBooks so expensive?

Do I pay for the eBook and read it instantly?Or do I pay LESS for the paperback and wait a week or two?

Eg: "Casual Vacancy" by J.K. ROWLING. (Don't get me wrong, I love this woman.
Hardcover: $21.00
Ebook: $24.34

Seriously? I would much rather hold, feel, own, and smell a physical book over a digital copy any day. MANY publishers are doing this now and it will obviously hurt the eBook industry. So, are they doing it on purpose to drive sales back to their physical books? Are they worried that the popularity of eBooks will destroy bookstores worldwide?

As an independent author, I price my eBooks rather low (Between $1.99 and $3.99)
A) Because readers don't like paying $9.99 for an eBook by an unknown author.
B) To get people thinking "Oh, it's only a couple of dollars, I might as well try it."

Maybe if/when I'm ever famous I'll price them a little higher ($4.99 or $6.99) so the price reflects the work I've put into my books.

At the moment I feel as though my prices are really low. After all, I spend MONTHS upon MONTHS writing these books, and sometimes I really don't sell that many at all. So selling my work for $1.99 really doesn't reflect my hard work.

Though I guess the good thing about ebooks is they never expire. You don't run out of stock. It is infinite.

Which is why I don't understand why people need to charge $10+ for eBooks, as they are never ending.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! There is no way that I'm paying £10 for an ebook that I can't sell on and get my money back! Plus, I love the smell of new books :) That sounds weird :P

    Charlie xx

    ReplyDelete